RESEARCH PROGRAMMES - M.Phil and Ph.D in Social Work and M.Phil in Psychology
M. Phil - full time only
1. All candidates should have passed two year P.G. Degree course after three year Degree course and Higher Secondary of 12 years duration or Pre-University under 11 year S.S.L.C. +1 year or 10+2 Pattern. Candidates who have passed the P.G. Degree Examination with less than 17 years of total duration of the courseare not eligible for admission to M.Phil. Degree course.
2. Eligibility certificate should be obtained from the Registrar of University of Madras for admission in respect of the candidates who have passed their qualifying examination from other Board/ Universities.
3. The admission will be made purely on merit, subject to reservation rules of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
4. Candidates from States other than Tamilnadu shall be considered under General Turn except for SC and ST candidates
5. G.T. as General Turn, will list candidates in accordance with overall rank list (e.g.) G.T. waiting list may contain candidates of BC/MBC&DC/SC/ST, even if they might have been included in the Selected list of respective community. In the overall rank list G.T. Selection list and G.T. Waiting list community other than BC/MBC&DC/SC/ST may be denoted by FC (not by GT).
ELIGIBILITY for M.PhiI Course
The Minimum marks for Full-Time M.Phil. Degree course shall be 50% for the candidates who have qualified for the Master’s Degree in the respective discipline prior to 01-01-1991 and 55% for the candidates who have qualified for the Master’s degree on or after 01-01-1991. There is no provision for rounding off of 54.5% and above marks to 55%. For candidates belonging to SC/ST Community and Disabled (Physically and Visually challenged) candidates, who have qualified for a Master’s Degree on or after 01-01-1991, a concession of 5% of mark, will be given in the minimum eligibility marks prescribed. The admission may be made on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidates in qualifying examination and marks scored in the Entrance Test.
(a) In the case of candidates of University of Madras including those from autonomous college of this University both Internal and External marks will be taken into account.
(b) In the case of candidates who have obtained their P.G. Degree from other Universities, the marks secured by them in the External Examination plus Entrance Test marks will be taken into consideration to arrive the merit list.
The Entrance examination may be conducted on the following lines:-
- The Entrance Test will be held after the publication of P.G. results
- The Entrance Test will be conducted for a maximum of 100 marks for duration of one hour.
- The Entrance Test will consist of five questions out of which four are to be answered carrying 25 mark each.
- The questions will be based on the following subjects (i) Social work (ii) Social Research & Statistics
- The Entrance Test will be held in the College.
- The college will design the question paper for the entrance examination and value the same.
Ph.D - full time and part time
Eligibility for Ph.D. Programme
The candidate should have obtained a Master’s Degree with not less than Second Class or equivalent grade. In the case of Examinations where classification does not exist, a minimum 50% marks is needed in the qualifying examination.
Candidates should submit their application in the concerned Department on or before 2nd January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st October. Registration for Ph.D. may be done throughout the year.
Prescribed Application forms are available at the University of Madras.
A candidate can register as a full time, part-time (internal) or part-time (external) subject to the provisions of these regulations and subject to the following:
Research Fellows / Research Assistant / Technical Assistants / Project Assistants / Training Officers in extension departments approved by the University, appointed in the research projects funded by recognized agencies / Government are also eligible to register for Ph.D. on a full-time basis in the same department provided they satisfy the eligibility criteria laid there in.
There shall be following categories of candidates registered for Ph.D. Degree:
1. Full Time (with or without stipend or fellowship)
2. Part-Time (teacher, or non-teacher, internal vis-a-vis external)
Both the categories may register at the recognized Department of this College Procedure:
i) The filled in application should be sent to the Principal of the college on or before 2nd
January, 1st April, 1st July and 1 st October of every year.
ii) Column Nos. 13 to 19 in the application are to be filled by the Supervisor, Head of the
Department and the Head of the Institutions respectively.
iii) The testimonials as required in the application form should be enclosed.
iv) Part-time candidates should enclose the following certificates along with
a) A service certificate from the Head of the Institution where the candidate is employed indicating the date of appointment, nature of appointment (i.e., whether permanent or temporary or leave vacancy etc.).
b) The details of any break in service.
c) A certificate from the Director of Technical Education / District Educational Officer stating that the Polytechnics / Higher Secondary / High School where the teacher is employed have been recognized by the Government.
Full time Research Scholars are expected to sign attendance register every day and part time twice a month. They are expected to take classes, organize Seminars / workshop and publish papers. They are expected to participate in research projects.